2 lbs baby beets
1/4 cup olive oil
4 oz light brown sugar
2 oz cider vinegar
2 oz sherry vinegar
1 oz champagne vinegar
1 chile de arbol
1 bay leaf
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 oz shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
6 oz orange juice, plus additional for topping up syrup
1 orange, sliced thinly across equator
saucepan with lid
2 1-quart jars with lids
For the beets
- Preheat oven 400F.
- Wash beets well. Remove greens to within 1 inch of root, if necessary. Place beets in single layer in baking pan. Toss with oil to coat. Cover and seal with foil.
- Roast for 1 hour or until beets offer no resistance to skewer.
- Remove and cool without removing foil.
- Peel beets by rubbing with paper towel. Discard skins.
- Combine all ingredients except beets in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, partially covered for 5 minutes.
- Strain syrup into heatproof measure. Add additional orange juice to equal 2 cups.
- From syrup flavorings, remove cinnamon stick and chile and place in quart jars. Add a few beets to the jars, add slices of orange, then continue filling with beets. Pour hot syrup to fill. Seal and cool to room temperature. Chill.